[GUFSC] Imaxima

Rafael R Obelheiro gufsc@das.ufsc.br
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 13:32:53 -0300

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 01:21:45PM -0300, Luciano Rottava da Silva wrote:
> Desculpe a ignorancia mas, o que eh este 'Imaxima' ?

[http://www.dfi.aau.dk/~harder/imaxima.html]

  imaxima.el

  Imaxima.el provides support for interacting with the computer
  algebra system Maxima in an Emacs buffer.  Imaxima processes the
  output from Maxima with TeX and inserts the resulting image in the
  buffer.  Imaxima.el is Free Software released under the GPL.

[http://maxima.sourceforge.net/]

  Maxima for Symbolic Computation

    A sophisticated computer algebra system released under the GPL

  About Maxima

    Maxima is a descendant of DOE Macsyma, which had its origins
    in the late 1960s at MIT. It is the only system based on
    that effort still publicly available and with an active user
    community, thanks to its open source nature. Macsyma was the
    first of a new breed of computer algebra systems, leading
    the way for programs such as Maple and Mathematica. This
    particular variant of Macsyma was maintained by William
    Schelter from 1982 until he passed away in 2001. In 1998 he
    obtained permission to release the source code under GPL. It
    was his efforts and skill which have made the survival of
    Maxima possible, and we are very grateful to him for
    volunteering his time and skill to keep the original Macsyma
    code alive and well. Since his passing a group of users and
    developers has formed to keep Maxima alive and kicking. We
    are currently in a transitional state, deciding what
    directions to go in next and seeing what our abilities and
    resources are. Maxima itself is reasonably feature complete
    at this stage, with abilities such as symbolic integration,
    3D plotting, and an ODE solver, but there is a lot of work
    yet to be done in terms of bug fixing, cleanup, and
    documentation. This is not to say there will be no new
    features, but there is much work to be done before that
    stage will be reached, and for now new features are not
    likely to be our focus.