[GUFSC] Open Google

danielemc danielemc em gmail.com
Sexta Dezembro 25 15:11:46 BRST 2009

  Enviado para você por danielemc através do Google Reader: Open Google
via Google Operating System de Alex Chitu em 21/12/09
Jonathan Rosenberg, Senior Vice President at Google, wrote a very
interesting email about the value of openness on the web and sent the
email to Google's employees. He recommends Googlers to use open
standards, to open source software, to make it easy to export data from
Google's services and to fight for an open Internet.
Open systems are (...) competitive and far more dynamic. In an open
system, a competitive advantage doesn't derive from locking in
customers, but rather from understanding the fast-moving system better
than anyone else and using that knowledge to generate better, more
innovative products. (...)

We use tens of millions of lines of open source code to run our
products. We also give back: we are the largest open source contributor
in the world, contributing over 800 projects that total over 20 million
lines of code to open source, with four projects (Chrome, Android,
Chrome OS, and Google Web Toolkit) of over a million lines of code
each. (...)

The ability to switch is critical, so instead of building walls around
your product, build bridges. (...)

We believe in the power of technology to deliver information. We
believe in the power of information to do good. We believe that open is
the only way for this to have the broadest impact for the most people.
We are technology optimists who trust that the chaos of open benefits
everyone. We will fight to promote it every chance we get. Open will
win. It will win on the Internet and will then cascade across many
walks of life: The future of government is transparency. The future of
commerce is information symmetry. The future of culture is freedom. The
future of science and medicine is collaboration. The future of
entertainment is participation. Each of these futures depends on an
open Internet.
It's interesting to notice that many of the products released by Google
in the past 2 years are open platforms (Android, Chrome), proposals for
open standards (o3d , OpenSocial, Google Wave Protocol) and not just
Google services. Google actually invests in a better web.

"If you are trying to grow an entire industry as broadly as possible,
open systems trump closed. And that is exactly what we are trying to do
with the Internet. Our commitment to open systems is not altruistic.
Rather it's good business, since an open Internet creates a steady
stream of innovations that attracts users and usage and grows the
entire industry," explains Jonathan Rosenberg.
Coisas que você pode fazer a partir daqui:
- Inscrever-se no Google Operating System usando o Google Reader
- Começar a usar o Google Reader para se manter facilmente atualizado
sobre todos os seus sites favoritos