[GUFSC] GnomeMeeting 1.2 and Skype

Emerson Ribeiro de Mello emerson em das.ufsc.br
Quinta Outubro 7 13:35:05 BRT 2004

     People are often asking me what I think of Skype. What I think is
pretty clear...

     The main problem is not that the program is not Open Source, the
problem is that Skype is locking users into a proprietary protocol. Would
you imagine the Internet with a proprietary equivalent to the HTTP
protocol that only a given client could browse? That's what happens with
Skype. Skype also has a great marketing force, some people even think that
Skype has a superior audio quality. How could Skype have a superior
quality when it is using the same codec (iLBC) than software like
GnomeMeeting while introducing more latency by making calls go through a
3rd party? The only real advantage of Skype is that it is easily going
through any type of NAT, using a 3rd user to proxy the call. But the day
when the Linux kernel NAT will natively support H.323 or SIP, Skype will
have lost its only advantage... Skype is hype...

Damien Sandras
GnomeMeeting's Author

É só esperar pra ver então !!! :-D

[]'s