[GUFSC] madrake linux 9.2 e drives da LG

Carlos Alberto Brandão Barbosa Leite cbrandao em das.ufsc.br
Sábado Outubro 25 16:57:08 GMT+3 2003

Tambem não tive problemas de instalção e uso dos meus dois drivers (cdrw e
dvd).
A nota no site da Mandrake não esclarece sobre os possíveis modelos
afetados.

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3#badlg

      Mandrake Linux 9.2 - Errata
      [Note to 9.1 users: Mandrake 9.1 Errata is still available here.]

      Some users have encountered problems installing or using the 9.2
release due to specific configuration situations that we did not have an
opportunity to fully test. Please use the patches or recommendations
included below for each scenario if it applies to you.

      Note on using Patches: To use any of the patch.pl patches that are
noted below, you must copy the appropriate patch onto a floppy disk, with
the name patch.pl. Then you can boot off of your CD-ROM with the "patch"
command at the boot prompt (obtained by pressing F1 at the splash screen),
and making sure that the floppy containing the patch is in the floppy disk
drive. If you boot off of floppy instead of the CD-ROM, copy the patch.pl
onto your boot floppy and boot off of the floppy with the "patch" command at
the boot prompt.

      On this page you will find:

      a.. Mandrake Linux 9.2 Installation Notes

      a.. Mandrake Linux 9.2 Usage Notes

      Mandrake Linux 9.2 Installation Notes
        a.. Potential hardware damage doing install with LG-based CD-ROM
drives
        b.. When doing a network install, the network card does not seem to
respond
        c.. Unable to install security updates during install
      Error scenario: Installing 9.2 and being told unable to install the
base system and subsequent reboot reveals that CD-ROM drive is physically
dead.
      Why: According to LG Electronics, their ODD (Optical Disc Drive)
products do not support Linux nor do they test with Linux. Unfortunately,
many Dell computers (possibly others) come with these CD-ROM drives.
      Solution: Currently there is no solution or work-around for this
issue; it is still under investigation. Damage occurs even when doing a
network install. At this point, please do not install Mandrake Linux 9.2 on
any computer containing a LG-based CD-ROM drive or it will damage your
CD-ROM drive! We are actively looking for a solution to this problem.

      Carlos Brandão