[GUFSC] GNOME 2.2lançado

Ricardo Grützmacher grutz em terra.com.br
Quinta Fevereiro 6 10:30:37 BRST 2003

> Desculpem a ignorancia, mas alguem poderia me explicar o que vem a ser
> "politicas de interface para o usuario"?

Acho que a palavra não foi boa.

O que se diz é:

``This site is about catching interoperability issues much earlier in
the development process, ideally before code has been written, and
providing a forum to work on specifications.''

O mais relevante acho que são as pretensões:
http://www.freedesktop.org/about/mission.html

freedesktop.org has the following concrete goals:
                                   --------------

     * Collect existing specifications, standards, and documents related
to X desktop interoperability and make them available in a central location;
     * Promote the development of new specifications and standards to be
shared among multiple X desktops;
     * Integrate desktop-specific standards into broader standards
efforts, such as Linux Standard Base and the ICCCM;
     * Work on the implementation of these standards in specific X desktops;
     * Serve as a neutral forum for sharing ideas about X desktop
technology;
     * Implement technologies that further X desktop interoperability
and free X desktops in general;
     * Promote X desktops and X desktop standards to application
authors, both commercial and volunteer;
     * Communicate with the developers of free operating system kernels,
the X Window System itself, free OS distributions, and so on to address
desktop-related problems;
     * Provide CVS, web hosting, mailing lists, and other resources to
free software projects that work toward the above goals.

The concrete goals of freedesktop.org stem from the
following general principles:
           ------------------

     * Developers should be able to use the development environment of
their choice without limiting their potential userbase to users of a
particular desktop environment.
     * Users should have a maximum amount of choice in selecting the
applications they wish to run. Users should not be limited to a certain
subset of applications; ideally, even the components of the desktop
environment (window manager, panel, file manager, etc.) would be
interchangeable.
     * Code sharing and modularity are a good thing. When possible, a
common implementation not dependent on a specific desktop increases
stability, increases interoperability, reduces system footprint, and
optimizes the use of free software development resources.
     * Concept sharing is a good thing. Users do not benefit from the
existence of multiple desktops if those desktops do not share their good
ideas and work together toward common goals.
     * freedesktop.org is first and foremost a work project; we intend
to develop specifications, and then write code where needed. Work is the
only currency that matters in the free software world.
     * freedesktop.org is an organization made up of developers,
designed to help developers do development. XDG does not intend to
provide user resources.
     * freedesktop.org's code will be placed under free licenses that
encourage wide use; most commonly, the LGPL for libraries, or an X-style
license when appropriate.
     * Most importantly: the goal of an X desktop is to provide a
service to users (including not only the users of the desktop
environment, but also the developers who use the development
infrastructure). freedesktop.org should be judged by how well it serves
the interests of X desktop users.