[GUFSC] GNOME 2.2lançado

Ricardo Grützmacher grutz em terra.com.br
Quarta Fevereiro 5 19:18:47 BRST 2003

Foi lançado o GNOME 2.2
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.2/

GNOME 2.2.0 Release Notes

Introduction

The GNOME 2.2.0 Desktop and Platform release is the latest version of
the popular, multi-platform free desktop environment.

GNOME runs on a variety of platforms, including GNU/Linux (commonly
called Linux), Solaris, HP-UX, BSD and Apple's Darwin. GNOME includes
powerful features such as high-quality smooth text rendering and first
class internationalization and accessibility support, including support
for bi-directional text.

The GNOME community has spent the six months since the GNOME 2.0 release
improving usability, performance, appearance, and accessibility support.
We also added new functionality, including new applications, producing a
feature-rich GNOME 2.2 desktop.

GNOME provides a user-friendly environment that "just works" for
everyday users, without excess complexity, while at the same time
providing the rich flexibility experienced developers demand. We have
tried to avoid unnecessary complications or obscure features, sticking
instead to a clear, unified vision.

The GNOME 2 developer platform has matured and is now widely used by
applications outside of the GNOME core. While GNOME 2.0 was a major
upgrade to the underlying platform, GNOME 2.2.0 is a simpler time-based
release that includes a number of improvements that have been completed
since the previous release. In the future you can look forward to
further enhancements from regularly scheduled GNOME releases.

Most major GNOME-based applications have been ported to GNOME 2, and the
new platform has allowed the development of several new applications. We
encourage developers to use the GNOME 2.2 platform and take advantage of
its features.

Of course GNOME 2.2 includes all of the improvements made in GNOME 2.0,
which you can learn about here.

The Desktop and Platform release does not include large applications
such as Gnumeric; those are developed in parallel on their own natural
release cycle.

GNOME is part of the GNU Project, and is free software.